How does Reflexology work?
We all start life with the potential for good health. Most illness is the result of improper maintenance of the body. This imbalance creates a buildup of toxins in the body, which inhibits the the flow of energy (Chi) essential to our well being. It is believed that over 80% of doctor visits are due to stress related symptoms. Reflexology relaxes the body, improves blood supply and nerve function to the organs and glands and releases a flow of energy. The body releases endorphins, its natural painkillers. Reflexology encourages the body's own healing powers to take over and to restore balance (homeostasis).
What are the benefits of Reflexology?
- Relaxes the body
- Improves circulation
- Relieves pain
- Strengthens the immune system
- Cleanses the body of toxins
- Revitalizes energy
- Promotes restful sleep
- Provides nurturing touch
"What happens during
When you arrive for your first session, you will be asked to fill out a basic health history form, and sign a consent form. Your therapist will review your health history, discuss your health goals, and answer any questions. Your shoes and socks are removed, then your feet are assessed through a visual examination. You are comfortably positioned on a warm salon type massage table. During your session, your therapist will adjust the amount of pressure used to your comfort level. Your therapist will document your session, noting any areas of congestion or discomfort, as well as your reactions during the session.
Reactions during a Session:
- Sensitivity in reflex areas of the feet
- Sweating in palms of hands or soles of feet
- Twitching or tingling in feet or body
- Feeling fatigued or a desire to sleep
- Sense of energy moving through the body
- Emotional release (crying or laughter)
How will I feel after a Reflexology session?
Most people say they are more relaxed, yet energized, and their feet feel lighter. It's possible to experience some cleansing of toxins through the excretory system within 24 to 48 hours following a session. Drinking plenty of purified water will aid in the detoxifying process.
Reactions after a Session:
- Release of toxins through excretory systems
- Increased urination / perspiration or vaginal discharge
- Loose, more bulky stools
- Feeling of well-being and vitality
- Restful sleep / vivid dreams
- Symptoms may get worse before they improve
Who can use Reflexology?
The beauty of Reflexology is that it is safe for almost everyone. Elderly and children can benefit from Reflexology. Your therapist will discuss your concerns and recommend the best course of therapy to meet your individual health goals. As a rule, a lighter touch and shorter session are used for children, elderly, or frail persons. There are some contraindications where Reflexology should not be used.
- Infectious illness
- Trauma to the feet (hands can be worked on if feet are compromised)
- Deep vein thrombosis - severe edema
- History of miscarriage (due to the cleansing effect of Reflexology)
- Error on the side of caution, if in doubt
How often should I have Reflexology?
From my experience, regular sessions yield the greatest cumulative benefits. Frequency of visits and length of sessions depends on age, condition, and health goals of each client. For most people, I suggest once a week for chronic conditions, reducing to bi-weekly, then monthly as conditions improve. Monthly visits can strengthen your immune system and help maintain your health. For elderly, children, or very ill, we suggest shorter sessions of 20 to 30 minutes.